1: Lottie
All eyes are on me... I'm stood here waiting to give the opening address at the firms annual charity dinner, which this year has been my baby having recently been promoted to head of PR, Advertising, and Marketing division, and I am sweating and shaking and feel like I want to throw up.
I look out across the room as people take their seats and refill their glasses from the wine bottles scattered across their tables. I cant believe how nervous I am, how nervous I always get, when I am about to talk to a room full of people. I know most of the people here, so it's not that feeling of no one will know who I am that usually triggers this reaction in me, this time it's more because I am so overwhelmed by the enormity of what tonight means. I have achieved what my predecessor, Janet Shelby, vehemently declared I would 'profoundly cock up'... She was sacked for trying to schmooze clients into booking her for training and support off the books so she could take the full cut rather than divvy the work among the team and run it formally through the accounts. It was her personal assistant, Josh Davis, who ratted her out when she 'profoundly cocked up' by allowing him access to her personal online calendar while doing some mundane travel bookings for her (which were for personal use not work might I add). So as she was dragged out the building screeching at the top of her lungs she demanded to know who would replace her.
"Lottie of course... she has been your second for three years now so I would hope she has a handle on things. She will certainly be more professional at the very least!" Scott Moor, CEO of Hamer, Smith, and Moor business solutions, had declared as I had entered the room to pass Janet her coat and bag "your things will be sent to your home address. Thanks Janet, I'd say it was a pleasure but it really wasn't" Scott had waved and blew her a kiss as she stropped off with a security guard flanking her on either side. It was in that moment when I saw Scott grinning like a Cheshire cat that I realised just how hopelessly complicated my work life was about to get.
The sense of satisfaction I feel as I tap the microphone to get everyone's attention is unreal.
"Evening everybody, if you could all take your seats and offer me a moment of your time please." I wait for the room to settle a little more before I continue.
"As many of you may know, I'm Charlotte Saviour, most of you will recognise me as that slightly annoying person who was buzzing around the last three events like a woman possessed attempting to keep you all sober for the meal and speeches. I can see that Casey has done a marvellous job at this task tonight as I have a slightly different role to perform this year." I take a sip of water as a handful of people chuckle at my awkward teasing of myself.
"Please forgive me for having my phone in my hand but my assistant insists we be more eco friendly in our office and this" I wave my iPhone in front of me "I'm assured uses less paper than a stack of notes on sticky pads" I refer to Janet's previous method of speech giving as there are more chuckles in the room. I sip my drink again. As I place my glass on the podium I see the little green band light up on my phone signalling a WhatsApp message. It reads - 'Ur doing GR8!'. I look up to meet Scott's gaze as he waves his phone in his hand a little. Well shit, he wore the navy pinstripe suit. I smile at him and continue with my speech, the whole time I keep glancing back at him as he smiles and nods with encouragement at my words whilst looking ridiculously divine in that navy suit. As I come to the end of my last point I falter, nerves are getting to me again and the adrenaline is too much. I feel a bit dizzy.
"But before you all shoot me for stopping the shenanigans at the bar for too long I need to say one last thank you.” I focus my eyes on Scott “Mr Scott Moor, six weeks ago you took a long shot on an assistant who just got her head down and did the jobs handed to her, all with pride and joy but with no desire for recognition and praise. I loved my job, but you gave me a chance to step up and demonstrate all that I’ve learned from those around me over the last three years. Caroline, David, and Scott have all shown me such encouragement and support, I cannot thank you enough for the opportunity. And to my team, we are going to have an amazing year because of the skills and knowledge you bring to the office everyday. Everyone in this room can be assured they are in safe hands with our PR, Ad, and Marketing teams.” The room erupts in applause. “Ok, get more drinks, starters are being served in ten minutes and then Mrs Caroline Smith, director of R&D, will be standing here offering her insight of the year to come.”
I walk off the stage area and approach a beaming Josh who quickly hands me a large raspberry G&T. I shake my head pop it down on the table next to me and rush past Scott as he goes to say something. I hold a hand up in apology and carry on racing towards the ladies room.
“Hey, Lottie?” I hear the distinctive earthy tone of Scott’s voice “you okay in here?” He rounds the corner to find me splashing my mouth after hurling my lunch into the toilet behind me. Here he stands, in the ladies loo of the Prince George Hotel, in that bloody navy pinstripe suit that makes me go all girly and gooey inside, checking that I’m okay. Well bollocks!
“Nerves got to me I think. Sorry” I smile feebly at his gorgeous rugged face. He hasn’t shaved again today, so there’s a five o’clock shadow which just enhances his strong jawline and makes him look the epitome of a 90’s Calvin Klein model. My stomach churns as the butterflies flip around reminding me of the little crush I’ve harboured since the first day I met him in the office kitchen and he made me a cup of tea, I had no idea who he was but was awestruck by his pleasant manner and stunning looks, oh and those arms in that short sleeved shirt... oh dear god!
“Let’s get you tidied up and back out there hey” he stands beside me and starts rummaging through my handbag, pulling out breath mints, a hair brush, and my favourite evening lipstick. I watch Scott carefully as he turns me to face him, he runs the brush over my roots to pull fly aways back into place. He takes a breath mint and pops it in my mouth, his fingertips linger on my lips for just a second as we maintain eye contact. Heat rises in my cheeks.
I look out across the room as people take their seats and refill their glasses from the wine bottles scattered across their tables. I cant believe how nervous I am, how nervous I always get, when I am about to talk to a room full of people. I know most of the people here, so it's not that feeling of no one will know who I am that usually triggers this reaction in me, this time it's more because I am so overwhelmed by the enormity of what tonight means. I have achieved what my predecessor, Janet Shelby, vehemently declared I would 'profoundly cock up'... She was sacked for trying to schmooze clients into booking her for training and support off the books so she could take the full cut rather than divvy the work among the team and run it formally through the accounts. It was her personal assistant, Josh Davis, who ratted her out when she 'profoundly cocked up' by allowing him access to her personal online calendar while doing some mundane travel bookings for her (which were for personal use not work might I add). So as she was dragged out the building screeching at the top of her lungs she demanded to know who would replace her.
"Lottie of course... she has been your second for three years now so I would hope she has a handle on things. She will certainly be more professional at the very least!" Scott Moor, CEO of Hamer, Smith, and Moor business solutions, had declared as I had entered the room to pass Janet her coat and bag "your things will be sent to your home address. Thanks Janet, I'd say it was a pleasure but it really wasn't" Scott had waved and blew her a kiss as she stropped off with a security guard flanking her on either side. It was in that moment when I saw Scott grinning like a Cheshire cat that I realised just how hopelessly complicated my work life was about to get.
The sense of satisfaction I feel as I tap the microphone to get everyone's attention is unreal.
"Evening everybody, if you could all take your seats and offer me a moment of your time please." I wait for the room to settle a little more before I continue.
"As many of you may know, I'm Charlotte Saviour, most of you will recognise me as that slightly annoying person who was buzzing around the last three events like a woman possessed attempting to keep you all sober for the meal and speeches. I can see that Casey has done a marvellous job at this task tonight as I have a slightly different role to perform this year." I take a sip of water as a handful of people chuckle at my awkward teasing of myself.
"Please forgive me for having my phone in my hand but my assistant insists we be more eco friendly in our office and this" I wave my iPhone in front of me "I'm assured uses less paper than a stack of notes on sticky pads" I refer to Janet's previous method of speech giving as there are more chuckles in the room. I sip my drink again. As I place my glass on the podium I see the little green band light up on my phone signalling a WhatsApp message. It reads - 'Ur doing GR8!'. I look up to meet Scott's gaze as he waves his phone in his hand a little. Well shit, he wore the navy pinstripe suit. I smile at him and continue with my speech, the whole time I keep glancing back at him as he smiles and nods with encouragement at my words whilst looking ridiculously divine in that navy suit. As I come to the end of my last point I falter, nerves are getting to me again and the adrenaline is too much. I feel a bit dizzy.
"But before you all shoot me for stopping the shenanigans at the bar for too long I need to say one last thank you.” I focus my eyes on Scott “Mr Scott Moor, six weeks ago you took a long shot on an assistant who just got her head down and did the jobs handed to her, all with pride and joy but with no desire for recognition and praise. I loved my job, but you gave me a chance to step up and demonstrate all that I’ve learned from those around me over the last three years. Caroline, David, and Scott have all shown me such encouragement and support, I cannot thank you enough for the opportunity. And to my team, we are going to have an amazing year because of the skills and knowledge you bring to the office everyday. Everyone in this room can be assured they are in safe hands with our PR, Ad, and Marketing teams.” The room erupts in applause. “Ok, get more drinks, starters are being served in ten minutes and then Mrs Caroline Smith, director of R&D, will be standing here offering her insight of the year to come.”
I walk off the stage area and approach a beaming Josh who quickly hands me a large raspberry G&T. I shake my head pop it down on the table next to me and rush past Scott as he goes to say something. I hold a hand up in apology and carry on racing towards the ladies room.
“Hey, Lottie?” I hear the distinctive earthy tone of Scott’s voice “you okay in here?” He rounds the corner to find me splashing my mouth after hurling my lunch into the toilet behind me. Here he stands, in the ladies loo of the Prince George Hotel, in that bloody navy pinstripe suit that makes me go all girly and gooey inside, checking that I’m okay. Well bollocks!
“Nerves got to me I think. Sorry” I smile feebly at his gorgeous rugged face. He hasn’t shaved again today, so there’s a five o’clock shadow which just enhances his strong jawline and makes him look the epitome of a 90’s Calvin Klein model. My stomach churns as the butterflies flip around reminding me of the little crush I’ve harboured since the first day I met him in the office kitchen and he made me a cup of tea, I had no idea who he was but was awestruck by his pleasant manner and stunning looks, oh and those arms in that short sleeved shirt... oh dear god!
“Let’s get you tidied up and back out there hey” he stands beside me and starts rummaging through my handbag, pulling out breath mints, a hair brush, and my favourite evening lipstick. I watch Scott carefully as he turns me to face him, he runs the brush over my roots to pull fly aways back into place. He takes a breath mint and pops it in my mouth, his fingertips linger on my lips for just a second as we maintain eye contact. Heat rises in my cheeks.
Comments
Post a Comment